Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (and Mr. Seek)

I chose the excerpt from Chapter 1 for Mr. Hyde and the excerpt from Chapter 3 for Dr. Jekyll

The first thing to point out is that when Mr. Hyde is being described he is being described by Mr. Enfield based on a memory but Dr. Jekyll is being described through his very own actions and his conversation with Mr. Utterson.  As shown in the first excerpt, Hyde is initially described as a hideous and deformed man by Enfield and he says that he has never disliked anyone as much as Hyde.  And this is all based on looks and his appearance.  There is no evidence or reasoning to him disliking Hyde.  Mr. Enfield describes him as very "extraordinary".  As shown in the second excerpt, Dr. Jekyll is talking and using a very prestige vocabulary, showing his intelligence.  He also is described as a caring man who shows a sincere and warm affection towards Utterson and a man with a smooth face and a stylish cast.  At the end of the conversation when Utterson brings up Mr. Hyde, Dr. Jekyll starts to get very pale and his eyes start to darken, showing that he does have emotion, probably anger, due to the fact that Utterson brought up a topic that Jekyll does not like to talk about.

Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekyll are portrayed very differently as shows through these passages.  Mr. Hyde is shown as a man of instant hate, very disgusting and hideous at the eye.  This is the very opposite of how Dr. Jekyll is portrayed.  He is shown as a well cut man who has such a great level of intelligence due to the way he talks.  He is also very caring and emotional and not seen as someone who you could hate.  (Keep in mind that there people are the same and I feel as though they are the EXACT opposites because Hyde is evil and Jekyll is good and that evil is the EXACT opposite of good).


Dr. Jekyll (Mr. Hyde)
I am Henry Jeckyll
(I am Edward Hyde)

I am a very prestigious scientist
(I am a very hated man)

Although I am very intelligent
(Although I am very scary looking)

I am not afraid to show my emotions with others
(I am not afraid to approach others and hurt them)

I spend a lot of time conducting experiments
(I spend a lot of time hiding)

But occasionally I will find time to meet with friends
(But occasionally I will find time to go for a stroll through the streets)

I love how smart I am
(I love how scary I look)

I don't care what anyone thinks of me
(I don't care how others look at me)


**P.S. I did not know how to put it in the format of having the lines next to each other**








Comments

  1. I really liked how you were able to identify how both Jekyll and Hyde are described by other characters. It's really important to understand how Jekyll and Hyde trigger a certain behavior and emotion in other characters. Mr. Hyde leaves other characters curious and scared for their safety while Jekyll leaves other characters feel pity for him. Also, I really liked your poem; it clearly described both the physical appearance and characteristics of Jekyll and Hyde. Overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you stated that Hyde's descriptions were strictly physical and how Enfield and Utterson made assumptions about him solely based on his looks. I also liked how your poem focused on overall descriptions of both characters as well, I thought it clearly showed how different they are to one another. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you pointed out how Hyde is described based on memory whereas Jekyll is described through personal interaction. It's obvious that you have a good understanding of both characters based on your analysis, and especially in your poem. I really like that you the poem about the characters' views of themselves, this was a cool idea because it shows that you are aware of the characteristics that Hyde and Jekyll share, despite being opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solid blog post. I thought it was interesting how people judged Hyde immediately based on his appearance and not on his actions, like judging a book by its cover, even if it turns out to be a crappy book. For your poem it was cool how all of the lines started the same way and had similar formats even though what is said is the complete opposite of each other. This blog post is as stylish as Jekyll's cast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some good points here (love the part about the eyes darkening- neat detail)- nice job incorporating textual evidence and really diving into the passages to look at how Stevenson presents both characters. Great improvement from earlier posts- I can tell you enjoyed reading this novella!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Cover Would You Choose?

Once Upon A Time...

"Writing blogs like novels..."