What is my name???
The name that I was given when I was born was Christian, and to this day I go by Christian, not Chris and not anything else. My parents went through one book of baby names and they started to make a list potential names for me. Once they came across the name Christian, they knew that that is the name they wanted to give me. Although they did finish the book, no name could change their minds. They really loved the name Christian and it was also a religious name (both of my brothers and I were named after Christianity names). I love my name because it automatically makes people assume that I am a Christian without me having to tell them.
When I think about the idea that there are "two of me," I think about how I am a student and an athlete and how the conflict with each other quit often. Being a student-athlete is hard, especially because I am in IB. There are lots of times where I have to miss a baseball workout every here and there during the off season to complete my studies and then during the season when I get home around 6 o'clock after practice and have to stay up until 1 p.m. to finish my homework. Balancing the two are very difficult.
There are lots of thoughts that run through my mind when I am thinking about whether or not I should go home after school to finish my homework or if I should stay at school and workout with the baseball team. It is a very hard decision to make because I do not want to let my teammates down. But then again one of the great things about my coach is that he says, "you are a student before you are an athlete." I do my very best to try and make the decision that will help benefit my teammates but when looking at the bigger picture, I need to do what will benefit myself and my school work because that is more of a priority in the eyes of myself as well as my coach.
When I think about the idea that there are "two of me," I think about how I am a student and an athlete and how the conflict with each other quit often. Being a student-athlete is hard, especially because I am in IB. There are lots of times where I have to miss a baseball workout every here and there during the off season to complete my studies and then during the season when I get home around 6 o'clock after practice and have to stay up until 1 p.m. to finish my homework. Balancing the two are very difficult.
There are lots of thoughts that run through my mind when I am thinking about whether or not I should go home after school to finish my homework or if I should stay at school and workout with the baseball team. It is a very hard decision to make because I do not want to let my teammates down. But then again one of the great things about my coach is that he says, "you are a student before you are an athlete." I do my very best to try and make the decision that will help benefit my teammates but when looking at the bigger picture, I need to do what will benefit myself and my school work because that is more of a priority in the eyes of myself as well as my coach.
Yes, I did assume you were a Christian when I first met you. Also, I can DEFINITELY relate when you talk about being an IB student-athlete (not to mention the clubs/organizations we are in). Hard to think of students at Millbrook who got it tougher than us. I don't care if someone is the president of 4 clubs, that still doesn't equate to the time we put in to our sports. #nofreetime #grindneverstops Luckily, our workouts are in the summer, so I was able to go to most of them, but I can't imagine having months of workout during the school year before the season starts. Really good post.
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that your name and your siblings names are a depiction of your religion. Religion has never played a huge role in my life so i did not immediately make the relation. It's cool that you discussed yourself being 'two' in sports and students life because I did something similar in my blog post. Later on in your post you discussed being a student athlete and the hardships involved. PREACH! I feel those hardships on a regular basis. There has been workouts for the softball team that I have had to miss simply because I'm swamped with work. Also I play on other teams besides the school team, so work is really never ending.
ReplyDelete